Monday, April 25, 2011

14 Journals later...

Four days ago, I began writing in my 14th journal. 14?! I know. I can hardly believe it myself!


Journaling is something I have always enjoyed. My friends didn't understand how I could write in my journal every single day and not get tired of it. But I didn't. I always found something to write about - whether it be what I did that day, who I saw, what I was learning, or what new goals I made.


However, it wasn't until I heard Heather - a singer from one of my favorite Christian bands, Point of Grace - talk about how much she enjoyed writing in her prayer journal that I began to change the focus of my entries. She had inspired me and I was beyond excited! I was fifteen when I began my very own prayer journal. My writings were turned into prayers with an emphasis on praising God, thanking Him, asking Him to continue working in my life, and praying for others (that was a big part of it). Little did I know that I would be on my 14th so quickly.


This evening (or early morning now) I was sorting some of my boxes in the basement and came across these journals. As I read various entries and flipped to certain dates, I realized how much I have grown. It was kind of sobering to be honest. So much has happened - both good and bad, but one thing that stayed consistent in my writings was my love for the Lord and my desire to keep serving Him wholeheartedly.


If there's one way to become less selfish and to quit feeling sorry for yourself in your own little world with your little problems, it's praying for others. This is a great way to grow! In most (if not all) of my entries I prayed for many by name asking God to help them in their struggles. Now, as I look back at those names, I find that some of those people are still in my life. I praise God for all He taught me and for blessing me with the experience of knowing them and sharing life with them. While others have left my life, I know that some friendships are just for a season. (I'm still learning that...)


What I find incredible when I reviewed my writings is how my many requests/concerns/fears/worries/doubts/uncertainties I wrote about and how they were all erased. God provided for each of those needs and blessed me beyond what I deserve!


14 journals later and I'm still writing. I recognize that there will always be good and bad in this life. But I also realize that God has never left my side, nor will He. I must keep perspective and never take my eyes off Jesus.


I thank the Lord for continually meeting my needs and giving me grace for the moment. And I will keep writing in my journals to later look back and remind myself of His provision, His promises and His plan.


God is good.


1 comment:

  1. I love journaling! Its something I have done sense I could write. Was never really good at it. but, as long as i could get my thoughts out on paper, thats all that mattered. :)

    ReplyDelete

Share what's on your heart...